Company Name: Safe Sleep Partners, LLC
Investors: Abby Milagros Initiative, LLC, Karow Partners, LLC, and private investors
# Employees: 10
Headquarters: Detroit, Michigan
Founded: January 2019 (Secure Beginnings, LLC founded June 2010)
Founder: Julie Andreae
SafeSleep® has transformed the crib mattress into a safety device. Our revolutionary completely breathe-through crib mattress was created in 2009. A utility patent was received in 2013. The SafeSleep® Breathe-Through Crib Mattress has undergone extensive lab testing. This testing reveals, the SafeSleep® Breathe-through Crib Mattress is a SAFER alternative to conventional and organic mattresses. The SafeSleep® Breathe-Through Crib Mattress does not contain the traditional “fill” of a conventional or even an organic mattress. Baby is actually sleeping on an “open celled” mattress that is suspended over a hollow box with vented sides which creates constant airflow.
Our revolutionary design allows a baby who is lying face straight down to breathe freely through the mattress. Air enters and exits the side openings of our crib mattress and then travels up and down through the open celled topper. This patented circulating airflow design also reduces overheating, resulting in a safer, uninterrupted sleep for baby. The SafeSleep® Breathe-through Crib Mattress is the first crib mattress to have a sleep topper that is removable and entirely machine washable, offering a hygienically superior sleep environment for baby.
Until 2010, the crib mattress design had remained unchanged for decades!
In 2008, Andreae, a successful businesswoman began coaching a friend who had an idea for a different type of crib mattress. The two became business partners and began designing the completely breathe-though crib mattress in 2008. Andreae knew firsthand the devastation of losing a loved one to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). She began studying the topic back in the mid 1980’s. Her knowledge on the topic proved instrumental in the product’s design.
Andreae’s sister, a leading pediatrician, became a professional adviser and founding member in 2009. Her expertise also proved paramount in the products design and function.
In 2009, Andreae filed for a utility patent on the product’s sleep surface/topper section which she designed solely. In 2013, a utility patent was awarded for the entire design which she is co-author of.
With Andreae at the helm, the former Company, Secure Beginnings, made great strides in bringing attention to the benefits of a completely breathe-through crib mattress for infant’s safe sleep. In fact, Andreae and her sister were responsible for the changes to the 2016 American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Safe Sleep technical report which now states that “Air permeable surfaces may be preferable to air impermeable surfaces for the infant who rolls.”
Andreae is considered a content expert and is respected in the pediatric medical community for her knowledge and commitment to infant safe sleep policies and practices.
In 2018, the two sisters, who were part of the original three founding members of Secure Beginnings, LLC, parted ways over differences in core values and management of the Company. The sisters had to start from scratch since they were not in possession of any inventory and had no access to the business venue. The two sisters were morally compelled to take on the responsibility of making sure that unfulfilled order receipts from the prior Company (Secure Beginnings) were reimbursed to parents.
It was not an easy transition, but the pair knew from their personal experience of loss that they wanted to peruse their original mission of creating sleep products that would reduce infant sleep-related deaths. So in 2018, the sisters launched a successful Kickstarter campaign which brought about the official start of the new Company, SafeSleep®
The SafeSleep™ Breathe-through Crib Mattress
- Allows baby to freely breathe through their mattress while reducing overheating and sweating for a safer, more comfortable, uninterrupted sleep.
- Firm, comfort-contour topper design alleviates positional pressure associated with skull deformities.
- Only completely breathe-through crib mattress that physicians and respiratory therapists write prescriptions for infants who must tummy sleep for health reasons.
- Machine washable topper prevents accumulation and growth of harmful bacteria, germs, and allergens. Bed Bugs don’t stand a chance of survival.
- Contains no harmful toxins, nano-coatings, or out gassing unlike conventional and organic mattresses.
- Eco-friendly and organic materials, made from recycled materials and is recyclable.
- Available in 3 base colors, with 6 sleep surface colors to choose from. MSRP $299
Instructions for Use:
- Load base into any standard size crib like you would a conventional mattress. The base rests on the mattress platform just like a normal crib mattress.
- Lift the two spring loaded u-shaped bars.
- Remove the open celled topper from packaging and unzip the topper.
- Place the topper around the u-shaped bars.
- Zip the topper closed.
- Press the back bar down first to lock in place.
- Next, press the front bar down to lock in place.
Julie Andreae, SafeSleep® – 586.219.7112